Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving and the Best Lemon Pie EVER!

This is Angel Lemon Pie. I found the recipe this week on kutv.com. Lemon meringue is one of my favorite pies, so I was intrigued by this recipe, which has the meringue for the crust. I made this pie yesterday, along with the traditional pumpkin. It was pretty easy to make, and turned out absolutely, positively, DELICIOUS! This is now my favorite lemon pie. I like it more than traditional Lemon Meringue. *One note: the filling calls for grated lemon peel, but I didn't have any lemons laying around, so I substituted 1/2 t. of lemon extract for the lemon peel. I wouldn't make it any other way! This pie is very light, refreshingly lemon, and melts in your mouth! YUM!

Angel Lemon Pie

Crust:
4 egg whites
1/4 t. cream of tartar
1 c. sugar

Beat egg whites until frothy. Add cream of tartar, and beat until stiff. Gradually add sugar, and beat until stiff and shiny. Put into a greased 9-in. pie pan. Bake at 275 degrees for 20 minutes, then turn the oven up to 300 degrees and bake for 40 minutes more. Cool.

Filling:
4 egg yolks
1/2 c. sugar
3 T. lemon juice and grated lemon peel (I used all 3 T. of juice, and added 1/2 t. extract)
1-2 T. water
1 c. whipping cream

Beat yolks until thick and lemon colored. Gradually beat in sugar. Add lemon juice, grated peel (Or extract) and water. Cook over a double boiler until thick, stirring constantly. (This step doesn't take long, and I cooked it until it was the constistency of yogurt). Chill.

Whip the cream. (I added 2 T. sugar, and 1/2 t. of vanilla even though the recipe didn't call for it). Spread 1/2 of whipped cream over cooled crust, then spread the lemon custard over that. Add the rest of the whipped cream on top. Refrigerate 24 hours.

No comments: